Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Introduction

I have numerous blog posts dealing with the so called global warming, but they are scattered in other blogs.    I  plan to gradually consolidate them in this blog which will emphasize how the claims  about global warming / climate change have more in common with religion than science.    I won't have time to update all of them so I will try to list the date of original publication in the older posts.   I won't be checking the links for now so some of them may no longer be on the web.

I'm a polymath and generalist with a background in physics as well as the social sciences.   This background helps me understand how some people can believe something as absurd as the claim that a gas that comprises less than 0.04% of the atmosphere can have a significant impact on atmospheric temperatures.

Their are two basic types of professionals in science fields.  Scientists conduct research to learn new facts about the physical world. Technicians apply this knowledge to actual situations.  The vast majority of doctors are technicians as are most meteorologists and climatologists.

I have a lot of respect for meteorologists and climatologists.    Meteorology in some ways is one of the most difficult science fields because it is so chaotic.   Doctors must possess much more knowledge as well as physical skills they use to detect medical problems.   However, medicine is relatively predictable.   Doctors know what will happen most of the time when they prescribe treatments.

Often the best meteorologists can do, for example, is say that certain conditions will produce rain  20% of the time or maybe 50% of the time.    They can tell a major snow storm will occur but the predicted  track of a major snow storm can be off by 50 miles one way or the other.

Meteorology and climatology are highly specialized fields.    Meteorologists and climatologists are only qualified to deal with the distribution and interaction of heat and water (the primary components of weather).   Climatologists are not qualified to deal with the overall heating and cooling of the planet earth unless they have had training in astrophysics or thermodynamics.   The process of molecules absorbing and re-emitting radiation involves quantum physics rather than meteorology or thermodynamics.   

As an undergraduate in the sixties I switched from a math and physic program to a study of human behavior because politicians didn't seem to understand how to find solutions to social problems.  I have 100 hours of study beyond an M.A. in  U.S History in a half dozen fields.  My course work in physics includes a class in light.    Like many residents of tornado alley I have an interest in weather.   I am interested in the subject of other dimensions of physical reality and quantum physics.  I'm an amateur gardener who has had some success keeping cold sensitive plants alive during winter by using creating my own "greenhouses".  

No comments:

Post a Comment